Weekly Summary 15: Final Project

My final project is done!

FINAL PROJECT: SUPER!

This was hard! I knew vaguely how I wanted to tell the story, but honestly, I was really fuzzy on the details. I thought the fake social media accounts were a really good idea… until the goggles didn’t work on Facebook or Twitter. Dani’s facebook account is still up, but there’s not much on it. I just couldn’t tell the story on there the way I wanted to without the ability to manipulate the timestamps, which is why I ended up nixing Farha’s twitter account. It meant I had to rely more on the fake texts than I wanted to.

I think I picked almost too broad a story to tell; I had to settle with only telling the first chapter. This would be really cool to do as a long-term real-time project or as a webcomic. Unfortunately, I don’t really have the time to commit to this long term, nor do I have the artistic ability to make it a webcomic.

My time management in this project definitely could have been better. It also took me a lot longer than I thought it would to write everything. Not typing up the character profiles in the first place was also a mistake; it just meant I had to take the extra time to transfer it from my notebook to the tumblr page.

Also, I wasn’t sure what the rules were on cussing, which is why the text messages were censored. College students swear (a lot), but I know many college professors don’t necessarily like it. Hence the red boxes.

Many thanks to Hero Machine 2.5 (www.heromachine.com/heromachine-2-5-character-portrait-creator), which allowed me to have images of my characters without actually having to draw them. I did end up using http://iphonefaketext.com/ to create the text messages. The playlist was on Spotify, and everything was hosted on Tumblr. Oh, and the goggles were used on the Washington Post to make the fake news article (in light of recent fake-news-related events, I made sure to put “not a real article” at the bottom).

I’m pretty satisfied with how this story turned out; I started not knowing how I wanted it to end, but I think I managed to end it pretty well. There’s still a lot of questions, and the selkie thing was not really told the way I wanted it told, but I wasn’t sure how to tell that with the options I had. If there were other options, I couldn’t think of them.

One thought on “Weekly Summary 15: Final Project

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *